August 19, 2016, the Feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ, His Holiness Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Kirill celebrated the Divine Liturgy in St. Nicholas Cathedral in Murmansk.
His Holiness was joined by Metropolitan of St. Petersburg and Ladoga Varsonofy, Chancellor of the Moscow Patriarchate; Metropolitan Murmansk and Monchegorsk Simon; Peterhof Archbishop Ambrose, rector of the St. Petersburg Theological Academy; Bishop Sergiy of Solnechnogorsk, head of the Moscow Patriarchate administrative secretariat; Bishop Ignatius Kostomuksha and Kem; Bishop North Sea and Umbsky Mitrofan; Archpriest John Bayur, rector of Ascension Cathedral of Monchegorsk; Archpriest Gennady Buzdugan, Abbot Nicholas Cathedral in Murmansk; Archpriest Vladimir Semenov, the secretary of the Archdiocese of Murmansk, the abbot of the temple in honor of St. Great Martyr and Healer Panteleimon in Murmansk; clergy of the Archdiocese of Murmansk.
The service was attended by the governor of the Murmansk region MB Kovtun, the chairman of the Murmansk Regional Duma MV Ilyin, the head of the municipality administration of Murmansk AI Sysoev, Consul General of the Kingdom of Norway Ole Andreas Lindeman.
Liturgical chants performed Metropolitan Choir of Murmansk and Monchegorsk diocese regent – Deacon Elijah Slaschenko.
Patriarchal service was broadcast live on the TV channel “Union”. For convenience, many believers in the territory of the cathedral was a big screen, which was broadcast services.
After the augmented litany of the Russian Orthodox Church prayed for peace in Ukraine.
Preaching before Communion said Archpriest Basil Wolski, rector of Holy Trinity Church in Polar Zori, confessor of Murmansk and Monchegorsk diocese.
By tradition, the feast of the Transfiguration of the Lord, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill consecrated the fruits of the new crop, which was followed by slavlenie holiday.
After the service, Metropolitan Murmansk and Monchegorsk Simon welcomed His Holiness Patriarch Kirill and His Holiness gave an icon of St. Alexander Nevsky.
The Primate of the Russian Orthodox Church appealed to the faithful to primatial word.
In gratitude for archpastoral works of His Holiness presented the Metropolitan Simon panagia and a cross, made to commemorate the 1000th anniversary of the repose of St. Vladimir.
As a gift to the Cathedral His Holiness Patriarch gave the icon of the Mother of God “Joy of All Who Sorrow.” For new temples Murmansk Diocese Primate handed 10 copies of artfully published Altar Gospel. All participants were awarded with worship icons of St. Nicholas with the Patriarchal blessing.
Nicholas Cathedral in Murmansk
The structure of the temple complex Nicholas Cathedral, which was built in the period from 1986 to 1989, in addition to the cathedral also includes the temple Venerable. Trifon Pechenga, a chapel in honor of the Mother of God “Sporitelnitsa bread” administrative purpose of the building as well as several residential buildings and outbuildings.
The story of St. Nicholas Cathedral is closely linked with the history of Murmansk. Date of the first tab of the cathedral is the official day of founding of the city. In 1916, the cathedral temple was built, but it was never built. Temporary temple built near the site then bookmark the cathedral was closed in 1924 and destroyed by air bombing in 1942.
In 1945, Murmansk Orthodox community asked the Bishop of Arkhangelsk and Kholmogory Leonty (Smirnov) with a request to send a priest to Murmansk. In March 1946, he was sent to Murmansk Priest Vladimir Zhokhov. The enthusiasm of the young gifted priest, who grew up in a pious family and the whole of the last war, in a short period of time rallied fragmented community. His service in Murmansk lasted only one year, but in that time a lot has been done in the parish. During this period, in a small wooden house, located on the street Kotovsky (today – Green), was constructed a temple in honor of St. Nicholas. The building was purchased by the faithful of the community. Within three months, a meeting house acquired the appearance of an Orthodox church. He was finished, there was a bell tower, inside the three-tier iconostasis was installed. December 19, 1946 by Bishop Leonty temple in honor of St. Nicholas was consecrated.
By the 1000th anniversary of the Baptism of Russia, it was decided to resume the construction of the Nicholas Cathedral. Around the temple existing, new walls were built. Construction started in May 1985, it was carried out mainly by the parishioners under the guidance of the rector Archpriest George Kozak, who served at the temple in 1983-1992. The cathedral was consecrated on October 19, 1986 the Bishop of Arkhangelsk and Murmansk Isidore. After a while there were a number of other buildings. In December 1989, the Bishop of Arkhangelsk and Murmansk Panteleimon consecrated the temple Venerable. Trifon Pechenga.
In 1996, the St. Nicholas Cathedral received the status of a cathedral.