You will encounter rookeries of Arctic birds, walruses and seals. Polar bears might get curious enough to approach the icebreaker to examine it from a very close distance. It will become a journey of a lifetime for you!
Join us on this expedition cruise to the top of the world – 90° N – aboard nuclear-powered icebreaker “50 Years of Victory”.
Day 1. Welcome to Helsinki, the cozy Finnish Capital.
Following your arrival in Helsinki and subsequent transfer to your hotel, you will be greeted by our representative in the lobby of your hotel.
Day 2. Charter Flight Helsinki-Murmansk. Embarkation.
After the group transfer from your hotel, you will board a chartered plane for the short two hour flight to Murmansk. There, you will board «50 Years of Victory», one of the most powerful icebreakers in the world, after which time you will depart Murmansk and start your journey north via Kola Bay.
Day 3. The Barents Sea.
While continuing your journey north across the Barents Sea, you will be introduced to the safety instructions which have been put in place to ensure your complete protection while aboard the «50 years of Victory» and during our expedition in the higher arctic latitudes. You will likewise have the opportunity to become familiar with the ship and learn all about its unique icebreaking capabilities and how ice fields are negotiated. One of the highlights of this day will be a tour of the engine room – amazing! All this and more are on the day’s agenda.
Days 4 – 6. Voyage to the North Pole.
As exciting as reaching the North Pole will be, the three days of voyaging there will leave you feeling no less so. Adrenaline and awe await you as you go up on deck and witness first-hand the sheer power of our ship as it battles its way through the mighty ice fields that separate you from your arrival at the top of the world. No less inspiring will be the views and panoramas of the astonishing arctic landscape. Off-deck adventure also awaits you on your way north. Time, weather and/or ice conditions permitting, you will experience breathtaking helicopter rides over the icebreaker as it plows its way through the ice. For those wishing to take some time away from their new-found sea legs, a walk on the ice pack will do the trick.
Day 7. The North Pole.
Seven is more than just a lucky number; it’s the day we expect to reach the North Pole. With heart- pounding anticipation, the «Victory» will be slowly maneuvered into position at exactly 90oN. Welcome to the Geographical North Pole. But this is only the start of your adventure. Disembarking from the ship, you will experience the once-in-a-lifetime thrill of standing on the top of the world. To celebrate this victory, you will join hands with the other passengers while everyone literally walks around the world during our special International Round-the-World Dance. Topping off the day will be our North Pole barbecue and, for the more daring and adventurous, a plunge into the Arctic Ocean.
Days 8 – 10. The Islands and Archipelagos of the Russian Arctic.
During the many years that we have been operating in the Russian Arctic, we have gained a truly unique experience exploring the many arctic lands in this region, one of the most remote in the world. It is truly our pleasure to share it and our love for these vast lands with you.
Days 11 – 13. Barents Sea Revisited.
During the three day journey back to Murmansk, you will have ample opportunity to relive your arctic adventure sharing your favorite memories of all that has befallen you while on this voyage. And if you didn’t do so before, then take some time out to really enjoy the facilities and amenities that have been provided for your onboard comfort – a game of volleyball or table tennis, a visit to the gym, a dip in the pool and a sauna. Or simply relax in the ship’s lounge, bar or library. After disembarking in Murmansk, you will be returned to Helsinki where you will spend a last evening in the Finnish capital.
Day 14. Farewell to Helsinki.
Following breakfast, you will depart for the airport and your journey home. Mission accomplished!
Expedition rates include:
- 2 nights in a 4-5* hotel in Helsinki, breakfast included (one night before the cruise and one night after);
- Group transfers when embarking/disembarking your charter flight Helsinki – Murmansk – Helsinki;
- Expedition cruise aboard the icebreaker as described in the itinerary;
- All shore excursions and activities throughout the cruise by helicopter or inflatable boats;
- Program of lectures and informal discussions by experienced Expedition Team and guest lecturers. Leadership throughout the cruise by our experienced Expedition Leader;
- Four meals a day (including fresh bakery items every afternoon) and tea / coffee station and drinking water dispenser round the clock;
- Special expedition parka;
- Waterproof boots for the duration of the cruise;
- In-cabin: bathrobe, slippers and hairdryer;
- Informative pre-departure materials and expedition log with picture album on DVD;
- All miscellaneous service taxes and port charges throughout the program;
- Personalized medical insurance covering the risks of evacuation and repatriation (in addition to other risks). Coverage: 100,000 EUR (for travelers under 85 years old; travelers over 85 years old are to purchase their own insurance policy with coverage not less than 100,000 EUR – such policy is to cover risks of repatriation/evacuation from extremely remote territories, and is to be sufficient for travelling in the High Arctic). Duration: insurance is valid only aboard the ship during days at sea.
- Letter of Invitation. This document should be presented to the Russian Consulate in your area in order to obtain a Russian Visa. Please, contact the Russian Consulate to learn more about the procedure for obtaining a Russian Visa.
Expedition rates exclude:
- Travel expenses to and from Helsinki;
- Charter flights Helsinki – Murmansk – Helsinki at cost of USD 1,750 per person (mandatory).
- Transfers to and from your 4-5* hotel in Helsinki before and after the expedition cruise;
- Passport and visa expenses (if required); A RUSSIAN VISA IS REQUIRED FOR THE TRIP. THE VISA MUST BE OBTAINED BY THE CUSTOMER AND IS AT HIS OR HER EXPENSE. Please, contact your local Russian Consulate to learn more about the procedure for obtaining a Russian Visa. PLEASE, NOTE: FOR CERTAIN NATIONALITIES SCHENGEN VISA IS REQUIRED
- State arrival and departure taxes (if levied);
- Meals ashore and supplements in respect of single hotel accommodation (if required);
- Luggage and cancellation insurance (Strongly recommended);
- Excess Luggage charges on international and local flights;
- Communication services; laundry, bar and beverage charges aboard the vessel;
- Tips for staff and other service personnel aboard (at your discretion).
- The price may vary. Specify the value of our managers!